Treat all players with respect at all times.
- Accept responsibility for all actions taken. Exercise reasonable care to prevent injury by ensuring players play within the rules. Reasonable care consists of advising the players of illegal body movements, showing due diligence in detecting infringements and penalizing rule breakers.
- Place the safety and welfare of the players above all else. Although it is the responsibility of umpires to ensure that the playing conditions are safe, in the end it is the association’s decision. If a court supervisor or equivalent is appointed and present at the match they would decide whether the game should commence or continue and deal with any emergencies relating to a safe environment or anticipate any foreseeable dangers and deal with it appropriately. If no such person is present, you should make a decision as to whether the match should commence or continue due to the adverse conditions, safe environment or foreseeable dangers.
- Umpires must be impartial and maintain integrity in their relationships with other umpires, players and coaches.
- Avoid situations which may lead to a conflict of interest.
- Be courteous, respectful and open to discussion and interaction.
- Value the individual in sport. Ensure the players have the opportunity for discussion with you after the match.
- Seek continual self-improvement through study, performance appraisal and regular updating of competencies. Maintain or improve your current badge level and seek continual improvement.
- Encourage exclusivity and access to all areas of officiating. Aim for excellence based upon realistic goals and due consideration for growth and development.
- Be a positive role model in behavior and personal appearance by maintaining the highest standards of personal conduct and projecting a favourable image of netball and umpiring at all times.
- Refrain from any form of harassment towards players. Treat all players fairly within the context of their sporting activities, regardless of gender, race, place of origin, athletic potential, colour, sexual orientation, religion, political beliefs, socio-economic status, and other conditions. (Abide by Netball Australia Member Protection Policy).
- Show concern and caution towards ill and injured players. You should enforce the blood rule and apply procedures regarding ill or injured players according to the rule book. Common sense must prevail.
Download Umpire Code Of Conduct